Yo!
It cracks me up that in the six weeks ive been here we've had a state of emergency, riots, earthquakes, a cyclone and now a tsunami warning. I'm finding it hard to take this one seriously!
Had good weekend - got my very first invite to lunch. It quite a hard place to work your way into a group of people and be accepted as a good guy. I think the whole colonialism and white guys screwing over locals has had a lasting impacts and they take a long time to suss you out. So it was nice to be invited to hang out!
Its interesting the different learning styles the kids have here. Hardly any imagination it seems when it comes to thinking of a name to save their work as...they will honestly sit for 5 mins deep in thought of a suitable name. The other day i said, I wantr you to write me a sentance, any sentence.....talk about a half hour task! And you remember how at primary school we were taught to stand up when the teacher said 'stand up' and we had to do it quickly - no such thing as quickly here. You say stand up and a few minutes later people will start slowly getting up. So its quite funny seeing the things they really hammered into us that dont exist here!
Will update on the tsunami when it eventuates!
Monday, 2 April 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Miri!
What an exciting time you are having with all the natural disasters looming upon you. I'm glad they haven't eventuated in too much damage! Imagine what you will see over the entire year if this is just the first six weeks!
Your lunch invite sounds great. I'm glad people are finally beginning to let you into their lives. I have been praying that you will get some really close friends over there for you to hang out with.
I have just finished my last assignment for the term to hand in tomoro. I promise I will email you soon!!!
Look after your self my dear! Thinking of you and missing you heaps!
Lots of love and blessings! xoxox *BIG HUG*
Hello Miri, I've got onto your blogsite for the first time by clicking the address in your email rather than googling it which hasn't worked yet!Silly computer! Hope you've had a great easter camp. We watched "The Passion " tonight at Friday Light. Hoping to catch up with Antonia and Phil in the weekend. Blessings, Jonathan W.
Hey Miri!
Wow your your blog looks amazing! Great to see all your adventures and scary times!
Check out mine www.followmefi.blogspot.com
Take care
love fi
Post a Comment