Monday, 19 February 2007

The first few day

Sorry about the lack of photos but ive forgotten the cord that goes from my camera to the computer! So hopefully its in the post and hopefully I can get it through customs and then ill post lots!

We’ve had a good introduction to island time – we were meant to go and stay with a family in a village for the weekend but our host didn’t turn up! At all! Shes still not here! So its quite funny really – no one here obeys any rules(road rules, they fish in marine reserves, turn up late) but such amazing people! This morning I went to church and we had to stand up and introduce ourselves, and then at the end we stood at the door with the pastor and everyone shook our hands on their way out to welcome us! Amazing!

I’ve seen both sides of island life now – the tourist side and the local side. We went to a snorkeling island yesterday and it was so nice , clear water, coral and colourful fish but you could smell sewage slightly (one of the big problems facing small islands, where does it go???) but at the same time as it being nice I was so aware that tourism is such a consumerist activity! Minimum wage here is 100 vatu an hour which is $1.50 – for a place that costs similar to NZ to live you can imagine the inequalitles! Huge hotels beside small houses (tin shacks once our about 5 nins out of town). As soon as you’re off the main road, the roads are dirt and heaps of potholes – its amazing – like two completely different worlds living in the same place!

Ive been to work which was exciting – flip they speak fast! My first project is to help the teachers doing literacy to create lesson plans and to help them teach better (tips anyone!!!??). Sounds like they have a busy year in store for me! It seems a great place though. Al the kids are so cute! The kids there are all ages and do not go to school (don’t know why) so it’s going to be interesting! I need to get a whole lot better at Bislama before I can do too much!

Please pray for these kids – that the work we do will have lasting impact, also that I get my baggage! Im finding the heat much better now (its only about 25 today so about 10 cooler than a few days!!!) So thankyou for prayers regarding that!

Am hoping to move into our house today or tomorrow. Thankyou so much for reading and leaving messages - its nice to read them!
Better let that do for now – will post photos soon I hope!
Lukim yu bakagen (see you later)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Miribelle :)
Sounds like you are having a blast which is great. I'm praying for the luggage issue and really hope it is resolved soon. Wow 10 degrees cooler is great. That must make life easier. :)
Kevin is very impressed with your pigeon .... in fact he suggested I should teach you "Yu lukim sik moon blow yu ?" :) Don't ask !!!!! Its a doctor question about "cycles" !!!! That's all I'm saying !!
Anywayyyyyyy .... I shall ask at school about literacy programmes and if there is anything we can email you. I'm sure your Dad will be checking at his school for you too :)
Well must go to bed. Thinking of you and praying for you my sweet :)
Lukim yu bakagen :) with love, Sandra