Tuesday, 27 February 2007

Bus rides...




Imagine the crappiest scungiest Toyota van you can….thats the Port Vila bus fleet! It truly is an experience. Its considered a luxury bus when there’s no gap between the door and the floor and when the windows fit the holes for them! The roads here are fairly dodgy so you spend the whole trip cluthing your seat (to keep it in place) and listening to the windows rattle out of their holes! They pump out black smoke like nothing else, its classic. The cool thing is that they don’t have any set routes so you just flag one down, say ‘Mi stap long ……..” and then jump in.They drop everyone off in order so most days you get a great tickytour around town!

So my English class that started off with 3 mamas, and grew to include about 7 teenage girls before the first lesson has again grown….today I walked into teach the teenage girls and there were 17, yes 17, girls all sitting at tables, looking at my expectantly….I only had brought stuff for 7 so I had to flag the whole plan I’d made and come up with a new way of doing things, quickly! Ah, the joy of teaching!

Had first girls hockey session and 15 girls rocked up so that was a bit of a surprise too! Talk about being kept busy! I’ve learnt that everythings ‘stret’ (fine, smooth) If no one turns up – stret! If 17 people turn up – stret! If the place floods – stret! If no one knows whats happening – stret!

Here are some more pics of my work and some cool palm trees!


O, and the mamas today told me I was a good teacher and they like me. So that was great feedback to hear when I was feeling like I really had no idea what I was doing! Praise God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome is our God!! Seeing what He is doing through you is amazing Miri. I am so glad you are getting such positive feedback! Not that any of us ever doubted that you would be any less than wonderful as a teacher. :D What are the people like? They sound pretty cool. Are you getting to know your mamas and teenage girls really well? What is your house mate (I forget his name) like? Keep up the wonderful work! Getting to see pictures is cool too!
Lots of Love, Hugs and prayers,
God Bless
Jenny! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Miri,

Thanks for keeping us all up-dated with what's happening, photos and all! Sounds like an amazing experience, and you are obviously doing a great job - which, of course, we all knew you would!

Praying for you!
Love Maja