Monday, 5 March 2007

Life...

Well…It’s rained solidly for three days now – boring!! Not much you can do really ‘cos its such heavy rain. And snorkeling is no good in the rain cos the water gets really murky. So its been a few days full of playing guitar, praying, reading, and playing solitare! I’m heading along to youth group tonight to help out so that should be a bit of fun!

We had a house warming sat night with other vols – a string band were going to come and entertain us (which would have been random) but there has been some tribal conflicts so people are a bit scared to venture out, so no string band. Its all to do with people from other islands wanting to come to Vila, but Vila people don’t want them ‘cos there already isn’t enough jobs and they think it will increase crime etc so it’s a very contentious issue really. So one group burnt down houses, and a few guys were killed! The streets are eerily quiet at night (absolutely dead) and yea, pretty interesting. I had friends who were on a bus and they got to an area called Blacksands (about 2 mins from my work) and they said about 1000 men were lined the road, about to have a meeting of some sort. But I think its settled down now.(DON’T WORRY THOUGH!!)

The guy at church on Sunday morning kept jumping between English and Bislama, so it was...interesting. I think I got the gist of the sermon, but I cant be sure! Am really looking forward to youth group. Will update in a few days to tell you how it is all going!

This week at work is a workshop on Health stuff (AIDS, family planning eating etc) so i have no classes but have to help facilitate discussion (in bislama??) anyway, am looking forward to hanging out with the kids a bit more. I had some laplap the other day (local food)....tasted mainly like boiled cabbage but aparently there was banana and chicken in it. Not sure I believe them tho! Nah, it was alright. I guess if there was nothing else id be happy to eat it! Have tried a local fruit, naus, which was interesting. Not a favourite. Coconut milk is really sweet but the coconut flesh is alright. Pineapples here are really nice (very sweet) but almost out of season. Otherwise, its kumala(kumera) and rice! Local veges are pretty good. Local bread great...o, im getting good at handwashing my clothes too! lol ROck on - read eph 1:19 (ish) the prayer for spiritual growth. Its cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Miri!!
man girl you inspire me, challange me, make me smile and laugh. I'm real blessed to have you as a friend! so i'm praying for heaps of blessings back over you! Keep charging..
love always
Viv

Anonymous said...

Hello :) :) :)
lovely to see a new post from you today after the scarey news on the tv this morning about riots and people being killed !!!!!

We prayed for you at our Mums in Touch group today :) of course !! :)

Guess what ????? Susie has a ball partner !! A rose and a chocolate heart were delivered to her in calculus this morning because she had told Kurt Murphy that a girl could never say no to a boy who gave her flowers !!! (She had obviously forgotten about her big sister !! Lol) Anyway just keeping you up with the trivia of life at school :)

oh yes and Hargest came second in Paddles Up this weekend ..... but I suspect you already know that :)

Thinking of you heaps and praying for you lots miribelle :)
with love and hugs, Sandra